Conditions of Carriage
1. Exceptions from Liability
The carrier shall not be liable for:
- Loss, damage or delay to any of the goods described in the bill of lading caused by an act of God, the Queen’s or public enemies, riots, strikes, a defect or inherent vice in the goods, an act or default of the consigner, owner or consignee, authority of law, quarantine or difference in weights of grain, seed or other commodities caused by natural shrinkage.
- Acoustical quality of any musical instruments.
- Damage caused or due to peeling veneer of any sort.
- Deterioration of any article due to aging, temperature, humidity or moisture.
Failure by the consignee to accept delivery when tendered within the time specified on the Bill of Lading shall render him liable for reasonable storage in transit, handling and redelivery charges incurred by the carrier.
3. Stoppage in Transit
If the goods are stopped and held in transit at the request of the party entitled to so request, the goods are held at the risk of that party.
4. Declared Value
If the consigner has declared a value of the goods on the face of the bill of lading, the amount of any loss or damage for which the carrier is liable shall be or shall not exceed $ 2.00 PER POUND or the declared value, whichever amount is greater. The declared value shall in no event exceed $ 25,000.00 Canadian.
5. Consignor’s Risk
- If it is agreed that the goods are carried at the risk of the consignor, such agreement covers only such risks as are necessarily incidental to the carriage and the agreement does not relieve the carrier from liability for any loss or damage or delay that results from the negligence of the carrier or the carrier’s agents or employees.
- The burden of proving negligence shall be on the customer.
6. Freight Charges
If required by the carrier, the freight and all other lawful charges accruing on the goods shall be paid before delivery.
7. Undelivered Goods
- If, through no fault of the carrier, the goods cannot be delivered, the carrier shall immediately give notice to the consignor and consignee that delivery cannot be made and shall request redelivery or disposal instructions.
- Pending receipt of disposal instructions:
- The goods may be stored in the warehouse of the carrier, subject to a reasonable charge for storage, or
- If the carrier has notified the consignor of this intention, the goods may be removed to and stored in a public or licensed warehouse at the expense of the consignor, without liability on the part of the carrier, and subject to a lien for all freight and other lawful charges, including a reasonable charge for storage.
8. Weight and stairs
- It shall be the responsibility of the consignor to show correct shipping weights and stairs of the shipment on the bill of lading.
- If the actual weight of the shipment or amount of stairs does not agree with the weight shown or stairs shown on the bill of lading, the carrier may correct the weight and/or number of stairs shown on the bill of lading and extra charges will apply.
9. Shipments and delivery
- We shall not deliver a shipment unless payment is received in full.
- We reserve the right to request full payment prior to completion of offload. All charges must be paid in cash, certified cheque, money order or debit/credit card.
- If consignee fails to pay invoice prior to the offload, the carrier reserves the right to bring goods back to the warehouse. The consignee will then be liable for all storage, handling and re-delivery charges.
- The carrier reserves the right to refuse any movement that could be considered unsafe or may cause damage to articles being moved, personal property or personal injury. In this case it will be deemed an estimate and any new charges based on estimate plus estimate charge would be applicable.
- In winter conditions our delivery team will not shovel snow. Please ensure that all sidewalks, driveways, walkways and especially steps are clear of snow and ice. Failure to do so will result in a re-delivery fee.
For more information please contact us (905) 631-9259 or toll-free 1-888-PIANO-81.